Sterling Main Street is a Volunteer-Driven organization. Your help is vital to the success of our organization. In 2017, 225+volunteers contributed more than 2200 hours of time to Sterling Main Street projects!
There are many ways you can get involved – from serving on a committee that helps plans the activities and events that take place throughout the downtown, to hands-on tasks helping out at our annual Car Show, Movies at Grandon, or Hops on the Rock, to volunteering on a regular basis to help out at our weekly farmers’ market. CONTACT US and let us know how you’d like to get involved.
Sterling Main Street Committee Opportunities
- Time Commitment: Meets as needed depending on goals/projects set.
- Plan spring Clean & Green event
- Oversee flower baskets and other annual plantings (up early June-late Sept)
- Develop & implement fundraising plans for program sustainability
- Identify and implement other downtown beautification projects (i.e. Information kiosks, lamppost banners, picnic tables, etc.)
- Develop fundraising plans to implement
- Time Commitment – Meets Oct-Dec to set plan for coming year, then as needed to review/modify
- Develops and implements marketing plan & marketing budget for the downtown
- Works with individual event committees to ensure promotions needs are meet
- Reports budget needs to Organization Committee
Special Event Committees
- Car Show (Early May) – Planning begins 4-5 months in advance; Meets 3-4 times in person; much done independently and via email/Facebook group
- Sip & Shop Events (April & Sept) – Meets as needed, planning 2-3 months before event
- Pop Up Markets (monthly May-Aug)- Meets as need in 3-4 months leading up to event, assist on event nights as needed
- Hot Dog Day (1st Friday of August) – Planning 3-4 months prior, meets 2-3 times, much done independently & via email/FB
- Hops on the Rock (mid-October) – Planning begins 6-8 months in advance, meets 3-4 times in person, as needed, much done via FB group and independently
- Sights & Sounds (holiday activities, coordinated in partnership with the Sauk Valley Area Chamber) – Meets as needed 4-6 months before event
- Other event committees as needed
Merchant Group / Economic Vitality
- Time commitment – Meets quarterly/TBD
- Comprised of downtown business owners (and includes other small/independent business owners in Sterling)
- Discusses topics relevant to doing business in the downtown
- Works with SVACC and SBDC as needed to provide additional support/workshops/training
- Small Business support group
- Makes recommendations to Other Committees for implementation (i.e. clean up needs, or beautification suggestions to Design Committee
- Marketing suggestions to Promotions Committee
- Works in conjunction with events committees to implement cooperative downtown events (i.e. Hot Dog Day, Sip & Shop events, Christmas Walk, Small Business Saturday)
- Oversees fundraising needs of Sterling Main Street
- Develops annual budget with guidance from Board & staff
- Develops annual partnership campaign with guidance from Board and conducts follow up calls on potential donors
- Develops public relations plan for the organization
- Time Commitment: Oct-Dec- Budget Development; Jan-March – Partnership Campaign & follow up calls.
- Maintains downtown database of properties and business information
- In person visits to each business to gather info needed to create data base (one time project will be labor intensive for short period of time)
- In person visits to new businesses as they establish in the downtown (as needed)
- Periodic visits to businesses as needed, acts as ambassadors for Main Street.
- Development ongoing marketing & promotional plan for the murals
- Assess condition of murals, develop and implement plan for ongoing repairs & maintenance of murals
- Development fundraising plan to sustain ongoing mural needs for both maintenance and marketing/promotion.
- Time Commitment – TBD
- Meets bi-monthly to provide ongoing oversite for the Market, including coordinating repairs, maintenance & improvements to the property
- Helps coordinate special events & activities to promote the market
- Marketing & promotion of the Market
Additional volunteer opportunities are available from time to time in providing a variety of assistance on event days, distributing posters & fliers, and other special projects.
Volunteers are the heart & soul of Sterling Main Street and help drive our mission forward in creating a vibrant downtown. Committee structures and responsibilities may be modified from time to time to best serve the needs of the community and downtown.
For more information, or to get involved, please contact us.