Sterling Main Street is a Volunteer-Driven organization. Your help is vital to the success of our organization. In 2019, more than 200 volunteers contributed over 2,000 hours of time to Sterling Main Street projects!
Volunteers are the heart & soul of Sterling Main Street and help drive our mission forward in creating a vibrant downtown.
There are many ways you can get involved –
Using the Main Street America 4-Point Approach to downtown revitalization, our Board of Directors has identified a number of Transformation Strategies to help guide our efforts in creating a vibrant downtown. Our volunteer-based committees help develop and implement the tasks and activities towards that transformation. Opportunities to volunteer include serving on one of our 4-Points Committees (Design, Economic Vitality, Organization and Promotion), helping out with special events such as our annual Car Show, Hops on the Rock or Seasonal Sights & Sounds, to volunteering on a regular basis to help out at our weekly farmers market. CONTACT US and let us know how you’d like to get involved.
Sterling Main Street Committee Opportunities
Enhances the downtown’s physical appearance while preserving its historic fabric and authentic character.
- Planning & implementing downtown beautification projects such as the lamppost flower baskets and other annual plantings; includes coordinate of Clean & Green event.
- Educating property owners about the façade grant program.
- Encourage seasonal storefront decorating (i.e. special Christmas windows).
- Working with EV & Promotions Committee and City to help market vacant properties.
- Works with City of Sterling & Public Works for changes in aesthetics of downtown (i.e. Christmas decorations; changes in street furniture; etc.).
A joint taskforce of the Design Committee and the Keystone Group
- Develop ongoing marketing & promotional plan for the murals in conjunction with Promotions committee.
- Assess condition of murals, develop and implement plan for ongoing repairs & maintenance of murals.
- Development of a fundraising plan to sustain ongoing mural needs for both maintenance and marketing/promotion in conjunction with Organization Committee.
Strengthens the local economy by supporting the existing base, fostering entrepreneurship, development, strategic recruitment and use of space.
- Works with existing business owners to provide support and connect to resources as needed for their ongoing success.
- Works with existing business owners to identify any issues or concerns to doing business in the downtown and work to find resolution to those issues.
- Recruitment activities as needed and work with property owners to attract new businesses to Downtown Sterling to fill vacancies.
Brings the community together to build consensus & a common vision; develops partnerships that add resources and lead revitalization.
- Ensures adequate and diverse funding for SMS; works with Staff to develop annual partnership campaign and follow up needs.
- Works to develop a strong volunteer base for Sterling Main Street to fill committee needs and event and operational support.
- Builds relationships with City leaders, business leaders outside of the downtown, and community members in general to build a common vision for the downtown in cooperation with the existing downtown businesses & property owners.
Positions downtown as a center of activity, markets its unique assets and promotes its positive image.
- Development of marketing assets for the downtown district
- Work with EV committee to promote downtown Sterling as a good place to do business.
- Identify new ways to promote downtown Sterling.
- Keep website current and develop social media campaigns promoting the downtown and the businesses, events and activities happening here.
- Car Show (1st Sunday of May)
Time Commitment – Planning begins 4-5 months in advance; Meets 3-4 times in person; much done independently and via email/Facebook group. Day of event assistance.
- Sip & Shop Events (4th Thursday of March & September)
Time Commitment – Meets as needed, planning 2-3 months before event. Day of event assistance.
- Pop Up Markets (2nd & 4th Thursdays, Jun, Jul & Aug)
Time Commitment – Meets as needed in 3-4 months leading up to event, assist on event nights as needed.
- Hot Dog Day (1st Friday of August)
Time Commitment – Planning 3-4 months prior, meets 2-3 times, much done independently & via email/FB. Assistance on day of event.
- Hops on the Rock (2nd Saturday of October)
Time Commitment – Planning begins 6-8 months in advance, meets 3-4 times in person, as needed, much done via FB group and independently. Day of event assistance.
- Sights & Sounds (1st Friday of December)
Time Commitment – Meets as needed 4-6 months before event. Event day assistance.
- Meets bi-monthly to provide ongoing oversite for the Market, including coordinating repairs, maintenance & improvements to the property.
- Helps coordinate special events & activities to promote the Market.
- Marketing & promotion of the Market.
Additional volunteer opportunities are available from time to time in providing a variety of assistance on event days, distributing posters & fliers, and other special projects. Committee structures and responsibilities may be modified from time to time to best serve the needs of the community and downtown.
Or Contact Us for more information.